Shawn Sullivan, Broker Associate, CRS's Blog
If you’re looking to add curb appeal or want to create a pleasant outdoor environment to enjoy your leisure time, investing in a good DIY project can help you to spruce up your outdoor space.
1. Install a Window Ledge
A window ledge is a versatile project because it can serve a variety of purposes. You can create an outdoor bar (or breakfast counter) by placing stools underneath it. Or, you can use it to hold flowers, herbs or decorative items.
- Purchase sturdy lumber to suit your purpose (larger for counter space, smaller if using as a decorative shelf), along with wood brackets.
- Paint the wood with quality paint to withstand against outdoor elements.
- Firmly secure the brackets to your outdoor wall (remember to leave enough space under your windowsill to fit the shelf).
- Place your shelf on the brackets and screw it on.
The beauty of this DIY project is you can customize it however you want. It can be installed for practical purposes or to simply add some cosmetic flair to your home’s exterior.
2. Build a Ladder Garden
If you want to start a garden but unsure you’re ready to tackle a full-fledged one or are short on space, you can begin your green adventure by building a ladder garden. To start, all you need is an old wooden ladder, wood and paint.
- Measure, cut and position your boards to create battens and shelves. (Good Housekeeping has some excellent tips of the what and the how to do this.)
- Secure slatted shelves to every other rung of the ladder (to leave room for your plants to grow).
- Trim shelves to remove excess wood.
- Paint the ladder and shelves with exterior wood paint.
Once you’re done, simply add your planters. Think of items you have that can be upcycled to serve as planters to really create a distinctive look—galvanized metal tubs, terracotta pots, old tin cans and vintage wood crates are all great options.
3. Create Hanging Planters
Outdoor areas, such as porches and decks, often could benefit from some greenery or a splash of color. A great DIY project is to create a hanging planter. All you’ll need is a metal colander, twine, glue and paint (optional).
- Choose a rust-resistant paint for your colander and let dry (optional step).
- Tightly wrap each colander handle with a half-yard of twine each. Be sure to leave enough twine on both ends of the handles to use for hanging your planter. Secure each piece of twine by knotting and gluing.
- Repeat on opposite side of the colander.
- Bring all four pieces of twine together and tie a knot at the top to use for hanging.
- Place coffee filters at the bottom of the colander before filling with soil.
What’s great about this easy project is you can use old colanders, new colanders or vintage ones found at thrift stores. It’s a unique and attractive way to add some “wow” factor to your outdoor space.
Many people don’t want or can’t afford to give their yard a complete landscape overhaul. However, by adding a few nice DIY touches, you can easily increase the appeal of your outdoor space.