Shawn Sullivan, Broker Associate, CRS's Blog
The kitchen is the life of almost every home in the country today. From forging relationships to creating loving memories, there’s a lot that goes on here apart from mom’s roast turkey and spaghetti meatloaf. That’s all the more reason you should invest in regular kitchen upgrades. If you are going to have conversations here, you might as well have it in style and comfort. Check out this list for a few kitchen upgrades you should consider this year.
- Add a fresh coat of paint to your cabinets. This can totally change the way your kitchen looks. You may also decide to change the paint job in the room too to give it an even fresher look. If painting is too much hassle, reface your old cabinets with a new layer of peel and stick veneer.
- Remove the doors of your cabinets. If you are more adventurous, you can decide to do away entirely with the doors on your cabinet. Your cramped kitchen will look a lot roomier than it actually is.
- Replace your light fixtures. Who says you can’t have fancy chandeliers in the kitchen? Get rid of the old fluorescent lamps and install some pendants and other sophisticated lighting fixtures to give your kitchen some more panache. You should also consider putting up some under-cabinet lighting too. That will add some extra glow.
- Replace your kitchen sink and faucets. Call your plumber and install a new sink in your kitchen. It will definitely give your favorite place a whole new look. You can switch from your old stiff-necked faucet to a pull-down faucet for more room in the sink too.
- Replace the surface of your countertops. A thousand stains and knife marks later, your countertop probably looks like that a ship’s kitchen. Resurfacing it is something that you can do by yourself if you want to. Not sure you are good enough? Start out with the island countertop, that way you test your skills on a small scale.
- Create a new backsplash. There are so many backsplash options for you to consider. If a tile backsplash looks like it’s more than you can handle, you can try one made out of a solid plain color. Want to try something a bit different? Use a wallpaper instead. For more backsplash options check out some of the peel-and-stick kits available to most home improvement stores.
Now it’s your turn! Go out and find your next great kitchen, then make it happen! If you want to be sure you’re improving the value of your home, be sure to ask your real estate agent for their favorite ideas.